Anthony McCune Tops Owosso Must See Practice
OVID, Mich. – Must See Racing Sprint Car Series championship leader Anthony McCune is still searching for his first career victory on tour, but one thing he's not short on is speed.
The Sylvania, Ohio native proved that during practice for Saturday night's opening round of the Border Wars doubleheader at Owosso Speedway, turning a quick lap of 13.834 seconds (97.586 mph) around the semi-banked, three-eighths-mile oval.
Anthony McCune was fastest in practice for the Must See Racing Sprint Car Series on Saturday at Owosso Speedway. (Jacob Seelman photo)
McCune heads the standings by 14 points over fellow Ohioan Charlie Schultz, piloting the familiar No. 8 Abe's Auto Parts & Sales/B&B Machinery Movers sprinter again this weekend.
His fast lap came in the second of two afternoon sessions on Saturday.
Brian Gerster, a two-time series champion and two-time Owosso winner, was second quick in the No. 50 RAM Engineering Midwest entry for Dick Myers Racing. He toured the Owosso oval in 13.883 seconds (97.241 mph) during the first round of hot laps earlier in the day.
Canadian Ryan Litt was third overall, despite missing first-round practice after he was delayed while crossing the United States/Canadian border. Litt posted a time of 13.932 seconds (96.899 mph).
Four-time defending series champion Jimmy McCune and Schultz completed the Fast Five.
Jeff Bloom ranked sixth on the speed charts, followed by Jason Blonde, Joe Liguori, Kevin Feeney and Tom Jewell.
The first session was delayed briefly after Tim Henthorne stopped in turn two, the culprit being a broken part in the rear end of his No. 15 sprinter which required a wrecker to tow him back to the pit area.
Henthorne later returned for final practice and was 22nd-quick in the 24-car field on site.
Hamilton Trucking Time Trials for the Must See Racing sprints at Owosso are scheduled for 5 p.m.
PRACTICE RESULTS: Must See Racing Sprint Car Series; Owosso Speedway; Aug. 24, 2019
- #8 – Anthony McCune, 13.834 seconds
- #50m – Brian Gerster, 13.883 seconds
- #07L – Ryan Litt, 13.932 seconds
- #88 – Jimmy McCune, 13.969 seconds
- #9s – Charlie Schultz, 14.100 seconds
- #26 – Jeff Bloom, 14.183 seconds
- #42 – Jason Blonde, 14.365 seconds
- #13 – Joe Liguori, 14.378 seconds
- #6k – Kevin Feeney, 14.437 seconds
- #7 – Tom Jewell, 14.441 seconds
- #75c – Jerry Caryer, 14.605 seconds
- #8a – Adam Biltz, 14.657 seconds
- #17 – Bobby Komisarski, 14.745 seconds
- #81 – Johnny Petrozelle III, 14.859 seconds
- #72s – Joe Speakman, 14.893 seconds
- #44 – Teddy Alberts, 15.060 seconds
- #85 – Rick Holley, 15.173 seconds
- #11g – Tom Geren, 15.348 seconds
- #32 – Todd McQuillen, 15.427 seconds
- #51 – Joshua Sexton, 15.571 seconds
- #13d – Jacob Dolinar, 15.759 seconds
- #15 – Tim Henthorne, 16.092 seconds
- #4 – Anthony Linkenhoker, 16.227 seconds
- #74 – Ivan Shaver, NT
Series Announcer for Must See Racing